Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A STRONG AND CARING WOMAN

(From The Minister's Heart)

My relationship with my mother began many years ago, during the nine months she carried me. I was born and raised in Fayette County, Rossville TN. The same city I reside in now.  Rossville is a small town east of Collierville, TN, about thirty two or thirty four miles east of Memphis.

My mother, like many mothers, took care of and nurtured me as a child. During my adolescent years I realized that my mother was a strong, firm and caring woman. She never showed many negative emotions such as nervousness, short tempered, or yelled at me when she was upset.  Her voice was as strong as she was firm. She was the center of our household.  She saw to it that her children were dressed on time each morning for school.  She made sure we had enough lunch money during the week.  When we arrived home each evening from school she always had dinner cooking.  I attended Rossville Elementary school located  in the city of Rossville.

During my teenage years I went to Fayette Ware High School located in Somerville, TN.  Somerville is the County seat for all the small surrounding cities located in Fayette County.  My mother was there for me during these years also. She always counselled me on finishing school. She believed her children should have a good education. She also believed and had faith that I would finish.Telling me my education would be very important to me in the coming years.

Because my mother was a strong, firm and caring woman, I always did what she said. I never questioned her statements, whether she was right or wrong. She made many decisions for her children during our adolescent years.  I was always a nice, quiet, and easy going child during my adolescent years. Eventhough, my characteristics were opposite of my mother's, she could always tell when I was upset about something.  She would listen, and then talk to me about the problems in my life.

The problems that concerned me the most never did have a big impact on her. I guest because she had been there, done that and had moved on.  She had a way of making my big problems seem very small.  When she finished talking to me, she would show her love by touching me and giving me a smile.

My mother was not able to finish school because she was raised on a farm, and had to help her parents with daily chores.  She could not read very well but she would always see to it that I had a tutor that would help me with my homework.  After I graduated from High school in the summer, May 1973, my mother allowed me to make the decision on whether to go to college or not.

I entered Shelby State Community College, a two year college, during the fall, September 1973. In 1977 I had my first and only child, Shona Rosser.

As I look back over my life I realize my mother was my best friend. She had to be strong and firm because she had to finish raising eight children after my father died.  She had to be caring as most mothers are, in order for her children to confide in her and disclose our heart felt secrets.  Now  that I am a mother and grandmother I realize all the different aspects and phases of life a mother has to go through to raise children. Being a friend indeed, a mother when we were in need, and someone who will intercede when  we are in trouble.  Eventhough our educational background is different, our values and beliefs are the same because she instilled them in me. I also believe in my child's and grandchildren education, and that it will be very important to them in the coming years.

No one will ever take the place of my mother, Vergie B. Rosser. Born a mother, and died as our friend on January 16, 1976.

No comments:

Post a Comment